To enhance our community, now and in the future, through philanthropic leadership.
The communities of greater Worcester are valued and attractive because of the well-being of our citizens.
- We appreciate and trust the people of our community to work together to solve problems, build prosperity, and bring vitality to the lives of others.
- Our community is a unified body of individuals from a rich array of backgrounds who contribute in unique ways.
- We are a professional, compassionate steward of our donors’ gifts, which have been permanently entrusted to us for the purpose of improving lives and conditions.
Our vision will be realized when
- Members from all sectors of the community are involved in making decisions and taking actions that contribute to positive changes.
- The cultural, community development, and human services sectors are engaged in innovative activities and able to overcome problems and build vibrancy.
- The Central Massachusetts region is known throughout the country as a leading philanthropic community.
- The Greater Worcester Community Foundation is recognized as a leading agent of community progress and is known as one of the most innovative and cost-effective community foundations in America.
The National Standards Seal by our name indicates official confirmation from the Council on Foundations that we have met the most rigorous standards in philanthropy. It affirms our commitment to financial security, transparency and accountability. It says our grantmaking includes an open, competitive process designed to address the changing needs of our community. The Foundation is accredited through July 2025.
We are passionate about our region. The Greater Worcester Community Foundation serves the needs of residents across the 60 towns and cities that make up Worcester County. Founded in 1975, we provide support and resources to improve the lives of the more than 850,000 people who call this area home.
Banner Photo Credit
GWCF's Work in the Community
Ours is a citizen-run model of philanthropy dedicated to enhancing the community in perpetuity. In establishing the Greater Worcester Community Foundation, our founders sought to develop an organization that engaged Worcester County in its own betterment. This neighborly experiment built on self-reliance embraces and engages diverse sectors united in their vision of a better Worcester. In our 40+ years, we’ve used the simple, accountable and flexible model of the community foundation to build an endowment of $160 million, raise $182 million and award $158 million in grants. Each year, we continue to grow our resources—knowledge, relationships and funds—and do more for our community. Photo Credit to Maia Kennedy Photography