The Leicester Savings Bank Fund of the Greater Worcester Community Foundation recently announced its 2021 grantees. The twelve nonprofits selected for funding serve the Leicester community and its residents in a myriad of ways from supporting events that enrich the town's cultural life to addressing basic needs including health and safety.
“In this year's granting, we can see a reflection of the toll the pandemic has taken on community life,” says Sarah Shugrue, Senior Program Officer with the Greater Worcester Community Foundation. “A number of projects center on bringing people together, safely, in accessible green spaces.”
The Leicester Savings Bank Fund was established at the Foundation in 1997 as part of the merger of Country Bank for Savings and Leicester Savings Bank. It is one of several funds housed at and managed by the Foundation, but established to support a particular town in Worcester County. Over the years, the fund has become a valuable resource for Leicester's nonprofits, infusing the community with nearly $1 million since the first grant was made. Annual award decisions are made by a committee of current and former Leicester residents.
“Every town has unique needs,” Shugrue continues. “Grantmaking through the Leicester Savings Bank Fund empowers the community with resources to help meet some of those needs, whether it's programming that fills gaps in essential services or projects that inspire joy and community connections.”
The 2021 Leicester Savings Bank grantees are:
- Common Ground Land Trust: Kettle Brook Path Signs
- Deja New Leicester: Medical Transportation Pilot Program
- DetecTogether (formerly 15-40 Connection): Early Cancer Detection for Leicester Firefighters
- Leicester Christmas Display: 2021 Display
- Leicester Council on Aging: Outreach Position
- Leicester Historical Society: Swan Tavern Preservation
- Leicester Police Department: AED Equipment Purchase and D.A.R.E.
- Town of Leicester: Equipment for Tarentino Memorial Park
- Town of Leicester-Burncoat Park Sports Planning Committee: Burncoat Park Safety Restorations
- Leicester Summer Concert Series: 2021 Summer Concerts
- Second Chance Animal Shelter: Homebound To The Rescue
- Senior Citizen Club of Leicester: Entertainment Program
Learn more about the Leicester Savings Bank Fund here. With questions, contact Sarah Shugrue at email@example.com.